Friday, February 27, 2015

One Day at a Time

Hello to my amazing supportive army. Tuesday was the big day of surgery, and big is a good way to describe it. The surgery removed 30+ lymph nodes (not the 5 I had in my mind) from the left side of my neck. Due to the previous surgery/scar as well as the size of the tumor the surgery took much longer than anticipated. The surgery lasted 5 ½ hours but was successful. Doctors feel very confident that they removed the tumor and lymph nodes in their entirety.  I stayed overnight at Huntsman Cancer Institute the night of my surgery and they treated me very well. The room was incredible, with an amazing view.  Nicer than some hotels I’ve stayed in. Even though it was extremely nice, I was happy to head to my parents to recoup.
I am staying at my parents until I feel comfortable on my own and have the pain under control. I have a drain in place so I think once that is out I will feel better being on my own. My family has been great through it all, adjusting to having me back in the house.
The pathology of the 30+ nodes will hopefully be complete within the week and I have an appointment with an oncologist on Wednesday to map out what the rest of my treatment will look like. Right now my doctor isn’t thinking that radiation is in the cards, but that immunotherapy will most likely be our best option. I will know more on Wednesday.
I won’t lie, the last few days have been extremely rough and emotionally taxing. I am very swollen and sore, and the drain is a very painful and a gross necessity. I think that all the stress and fear of the last 2 months finally set in when the reality of the pain sunk in.  The scar is very large, as you can see, so that will take some time to heal and get used to. Due to how “stuck” the tumor/node was and was entangled by nerves, I have some nerve damage that will hopefully diminish in the next few months. One of them being the nerve to my bottom lip. I look as though I just was at the dentist. They said that the nerve just needs time to recoup and will almost always return to normal – something I hope to be true.
Through it all I have been spoiled by love, energy, prayers, texts, emails, calls, gifts, food and flowers. All which have helped to keep my head up through it all. Not sure what I would do without all of you. My GoFundMe account reached the goal of $5000 and it is still rising. Just amazing to see everyone pull together for me, and it is so humbling to see people from all aspects of my life chip in and wish me good luck on this insane journey.
I will try my best to keep this updated.  I am nervous and anxious that this journey has begun but I am glad that the main step is behind me. On to the next step..
Love you all
Lex

No comments:

Post a Comment