Thursday, January 7, 2016

Kickin' my tumors ass!

I started my new medicine on the morning of Friday 1/1/16. It is a BRaf Inhibitor which means it blocks the BRaf mutation I have in my tumors, then allowing my body to fight it. It is two medicines - Tafinlar twice a day and Mekinist once a day. The trickiest part of taking these meds is they have to be taken on an empty stomach and have to be taken 12 hours apart - lets just say timing dinner has been a bit tricky in my all over life. I am getting used to it though.
On Sunday I realized I had forgotten to take my nerve pain medication in the middle of the day and realized I actually wasn't in as much pain as normal. Same thing happened on Monday. On Monday night I was able to sleep on my side (either one) which is something I haven't been able to do because of severe nerve pain since the beginning of December. On Tuesday morning I decided to take a good look at my tumors and to my disbelief, they have totally gone down!! And I mean a substantial amount. I take tumor pictures often just to mark the growth for myself and for my medical team, so I decided to do a side by side picture:
Bad lighting but the left picture is 1/1/16 and the right is 1/5/16
I am shocked at how fast the medicine is working and my tumors literally are shrinking each day. Here is the picture from last night (1/6/15). 
Still even more. I am amazed and am trying to not get my hopes too high as multiple doctors have told me this is not a permanent solution. For now it is amazing to have the pain relief from them going down as well as having little to no side effects. I have been very tired and had some headaches, but nothing compared to the nerve pain I was having. I am assuming I've been tired because my body is fighting extra hard to shrink the tumors.

We shall see how much they end up shrinking overall! I am amazed with the results in not even a week! Amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment