Thursday, March 10, 2016

And we're back on track

On Monday my doctors decided to pause my meds and start me on a low dose of prednisone (steroid). This is because I was having multiple side effects creep in as well as the skin issues (that's the main reason for the prednisone, as well as the joint pain/issues) After just one dose of the steroid my symptoms started to reside and I began feeling better. By the time of my appointment yesterday, Wednesday, most of my skin issues had subsided and I wasn't having any other real side effect issues. At the appointment we talked about our plan. I was really hoping they wouldn't take this option away as I am not ready to be down one more option. My opinion in the matter is that I am fighting cancer and taking drugs made to kill and take down cancer - I don't expect to feel well. I expect to have side effects and know I will have to manage them and work through them until we don't have to anymore. I can handle some side effects. Although I felt crappy, I have felt more crappy in this battle, I can handle it.
So with all that said, we decided to restart the meds just at a slightly lower dose. Instead of taking 4 pills AM/PM of the Zelboraf I will now take 3 AM/PM and then then 2 pills instead of 3 pills of the Cotellic. I will also stay on prednisone (20mg) once a day for at least a week and then begin to taper and hopefully we can stay at a low low dose of that to control the skin and joint issues. I am not a big fan of prednisone as it makes me a bit wired, irritable and the worst of them all is makes me a ravenous eater. ie: a fat kid in a bakery. BUT if taking it means I can continue on the cancer fighting meds it is worth attempting to be a bit regulated as far as my diet and just go from there.  We are going to see how I handle this new dosing and unless something comes up I wont see the doctor for another 2 weeks. Ideally we will stay on this regimen for at least another month and a half until my next scans in April and then reevaluate as per usual.
Since I have felt better I have worked a couple days this week at my job at Market Street/GINC. Ironically today (3/10) is my original hire date in 2006. It is funny that I took on a new responsibility today, 10 years later. I had a 3 year hiatus so I only have really physically worked for the company for 7 years. Still, you know how I am a sucker for anniversaries! They have been great working with me and my "situation" and have been very flexible with me. I am able to work when I feel well, and able to take a day or so if I don't feel good. It is nice to know I have a say in when I am working.

Prednisone also makes me a bit scatter brained and spastic, if you can't tell from this post jumping all over. I'll have to fine tune that and work off that energy for now!

As for now I'll keep busy and hopefully keep away from too many side effects.  One day at a time my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment