Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Timeline sinking in

Today I had my normal monthly appointment to go over how treatment is going and we map out the next months plan, talk about side effects etc. No scans this month, they are in 4 weeks.

Ever since we decided that I would do this treatment, my third choice if you remember, I knew that this isn't the last treatment I would be doing as it isn't a permanent/end game treatment. It is more of stepping stone to get to the next treatments and also a requirement from the insurance companies to do (don't you just love that?) Most patients stop responding to the treatment 6-9months in and again almost all have re-occurrence of cancer growth within two years of finishing the treatment.
I am entering into my 4th month on this type of treatment. I asked today how long I could stay on it and I was surprised when they said that I could technically be on it indefinitely, but again most people see little response rate between months 6-9 and then move on to the next treatment. He then laid out the next steps they are thinking for me and that would be to stay on this until August (7 months in), unless my body decides to not tolerate it sooner, and then switch to the hard hitting Nivolomab/Ipilumimab combo. This combo is not covered by my insurance as of now so I would have to get a grant from the drug companies approved. The petition is already in, but is on hold until we get to that point in treatment (the company requires you to start the drug within a week of granting you drug, so we can't do it until we are ready.)

For some reason, even though I knew this all along, it hit me hard today that I will be in treatment for at least 7 months, but looking more like a year plus. Just thinking of being here again next year and still on treatment is a bit overwhelming to me. Is it because I am not sure if I can make plans for that whole time? That life can't move forward while still on this path? That cancer does have a reign on me, more than I am allow myself to understand? I am not sure. But today just kinda was a blah day when I really wrapped my head around what my life will look like for the next year+.

My plan, and I will have to actively work on thinking and acting in this way, is to have cancer be the best thing that happened to me. Happened, in the past tense because I want to believe that I can truly beat it for good. I hope to actually start working while I feel good, taking it week by week as possible. I want to give myself permission to live as though I am not fighting cancer. Not let it reign me and all that I do. I want cancer to have given me a different look on life and not take things for granted, live in the moment. Not think and worry about what everyone is thinking and judging me on. We'll see how this all goes. Trying to not get too far into my thoughts of the coming year. Thinking in the now, not the months down the road.

Silly life, you sure know how to be complicated at times!

No comments:

Post a Comment