Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Creepers...

Side effects... They are creepers. You're going a long just fine and then boom, there's a side effect and then BANG another! And another! Welcome to my life this last week.
On Thursday I started getting a few of the hive/welts sneaking in. On Friday there were a few more as well as a rash on my back that was starting and joint pain. Then Saturday came the nausea and chills, low low fever (99). Sunday was all of the above plus extreme fatigue and I spent the entire day in bed or in my chair relaxing. Not the most fun of a weekend but you never know what your days will bring when you are actively fighting cancer (one of my biggest struggles with this battle, to say the least).
Called the doctors on Monday morning and tried to downplay the side effects - hoping they would just try some more prednisone for the rash/hive situation and I would just truck through the other issues but they could see right through it all and decided to pause the meds for now and have me come in tomorrow (Wednesday) to go over the plan of action.
Not going to lie, not too happy about this all. On the first round of these meds this year (Mekinist and Tafinlar) I made it 21 days until we stopped the meds. On the new ones (Zelboraf and Cotellic) I made it through an entire month cycle plus 6 days. Which is pretty good in my mind. I'm hoping the doctors just give my body a brief recoup and we restart on the meds and finish at least another month on them. Why you ask? Because once this option is off the table that means there is only 2 more approved treatments available or it is clinical trials. My options become more and more slim. Just doesn't leave a very comforting feeling in me.
As far as the drug that we have been waiting to see if it is cleared through the drug company - that is still in the process. Once we knew we would be trying these drugs we put a hold on the request. It is still an option if we need it to be. The other drug that the insurance denied last will now be approved because I tried the drugs I am currently on - just something that had to be checked off the list before they would approve it. You have to try drug A and drug B in order to receive the awesome drug C. Gotta love insurance companies! But really I don't know what I would do without insurance... such a crazy cycle.

Not sure what tomorrows appointment will bring but I guess we will just have to wait and see. As for today I feel much better than yesterday. I have had actual food and snoozed/relaxed most of the day and planning on going to IHOP later for International Pancake Day to support my sisters company Children's Miracle Network - gotta get out of the house at least once in a day! Even if it is to play with the dog outside.

I'll keep you posted!
One moment at a time...


Snacks and a show... 

Sunday... 


No comments:

Post a Comment