Tuesday, October 11, 2016

LaterBlog: September 29-October 2

Three days doesn't seem like much but man did I cram a lot of stuff into those days!

September 29th was the Huntsman Cancer Institute Gala that I attended. I was invited by a friend of a good friend who works there. This is an annual gala hosted for Huntsman donors, staff and some patients. Afterwards there is a party for cancer patients, caregivers and family called "Take a Night Off of Cancer." I had attended the after party last year and had a great time. This year I was lucky to enjoy the program and dinner before, as well as look at the auction items. The one I wanted (two tickets to see the Ellen Degeneres Show) went for $4k+ so that didn't work haha! I will get there one day! In the program one of my doctors work was mentioned (Dr. Robert Andtbacka and his work to get TVEC approved) and he was in multiple pictures. I felt like a super fan the whole time! I didn't stay long at the afterparty this year but it was set up beautifully.



October 1st was a full day!
I started the day attending the AIM Melanoma Summit at Huntsman where both my oncologists (Grossmann and Andtbacka) spoke as well as some other doctors. There was also a patient panel that was very interesting and informative. I even scored a picture with my lovely doctors.
Owe these two a lot. Dr. Robert Andtbacka (left) and Dr. Kenneth Grossmann (right)

List of the drug approvals over the last 35 years... I've done all but 2 of these (Pembro and TVEC)


That night my sister, Tyler and I took a mini road trip to see the Spiral Jetty at the Great Salt Lake. We stopped on the way at a iconic drive in and then headed out to the Jetty. The roads weren't what we expected and weren't really fully paved but more a grated dirt road at times. Very crazy, and bumpy. When we got there it was almost sunset so we headed down to the Jetty and were told to walk to the water as it was beautiful and worth seeing. Growing up near the Great Salt Lake we would go on field trips as a kid and all I remember is how stinky and gross it was. Not the case at this part of the lake. It was amazing. We were basically walking on inches and inches of packed salt that looked like an ice rink and you felt like it should crack beneath you but it didn't budge! Once we got to the water we were amazed to see it was pink. Yes - pink! I asked if this is where unicorns live because it is that unbelievable. The pictures don't do it justice. On top of just being cool and beautiful it was sunset so we got the best of everything. Can't believe it has taken me so long to make the trek out there!
Spiral Jetty
Both trying to get a good panoramic picture, circling one another

Salt Flats

Nope, not ugly.


Crazy wind hair (and expression)
Pink Water

Tylers jump picture


October 2: High Tea and Dinner with Friends
I went to high tea with a close friend and that sure was fun! It makes you feel so fancy. It was a good time chatting and catching up while eating finger sandwiches and drinking tasty tea. I'd love to go back with some of my friends little girls and just watch them enjoy every second of it!
That night I went to Tylers where he cooked a delicious meal for me and two friends. He sure spoils me! Homemade rolls and everything. There was an awesome thunder and lighting storm that night too and he lives on the top floor of his building so we had a great view of it thrashing around. Very cool.
High Tea at the Grand America


It was a full and fun weekend .. sure love my people.

No comments:

Post a Comment