Monday, December 12, 2016

2nd, maybe 3rd Degree

Five days ago was my last radiation treatment and apparently this is when the side effects peak. That said, I easily have 2nd degree (partial thickness), maybe 3rd degree (full thickness) burns on a good portion of my neck. It doesn't help that today is also when my white counts are supposed to be the lowest (usually day 7-10 after chemo, but last time it was day 14 so I am assuming that since it is day 10 I am either going down or already there...) so my healing superpowers aren't what they usually are. That said, I have had the spot behind my ear looked at but it has progressed a fair amount that I felt I needed to be seen again. So far I have been using silverdene cream at night but not covering it (wasn't ever told to) and then cleaning it up throughout the day. Burns are tricky because they look so gross that you don't know if it is healing or infection. Luckily I am on antibiotics for infection so our bases are covered there. Regardless, I didn't feel like it was going in a good direction so I had a nurse visit today. And I was right. I needed a lot more of the silverdene cream and definitely needed a dressing on it. How do you put a dressing on the neck you say? (and you can't use tape because of the burned skin and I have a strong sensitivity to tape/adhesive #special) well you get a special turtle neck/choker/giant bandage. If I already didn't look sick, now people will be wondering what the hell happened to that girl! The nurse showed me how to clean and dress the area which was very helpful because I literally have been going off of YouTube videos... and they aren't too informative. I feel better having the dressing on and feel like it will help the healing process go a bit faster or at least give it a boost while my white counts are down. One thing that is good but bad is that due to my surgeries I don't have feeling/sensation for about 98% of the burned area. It is good because the pain would be substantial but it is bad because I don't have the sensations to tell me how bad it is and what areas are the worst (even though I have a good idea). I am doing all I can to avoid infection and another hospital stay. 

 
My bandages and before the bandages... The worst part is behind my ear.

I got out of the house yesterday as well as today (besides the nurse visit) and am slowly regaining strength. I am trying to get out each day and walk a bit since it isn't good to just sit around all the time (because that makes me higher risk for additional clots) but with that said it takes a lot out of me. My throat (inside) is still so sore and swallowing is painful, so talking makes it a little worse. AND pain pills for some reason do not help with the pain, so strange. I am attempting to eat in addition to the feeding tube because the faster I can get back to eating regularly, the faster I can have the feeding tube removed. I'm a long ways from that though. I am basically only eating/drinking liquids and when there is more than just empty calories in it ie: drinks, then it usually comes back up. This could be part of the mucositis issue I've been having but if it doesn't improve soon then I will have to go in and figure out what is really happening. I know that I'll have the feeding tube for at least two more weeks. 

When I am home I have been enjoying my amazing new couch and napping a good amount. I peruse social media mostly and have been watching really random movies on Netflix because why not. I am doing my best to not do too much and let my body rest and heal, also I get pretty nauseous when I move a lot or bend over a good amount. That said, I am putting on another random movie now and then it is early bed time for me cause I didn't nap today and did a good amount of things. 

I would love to know where you are reading my blog from - I know that most is my family and friends, but I see a few people from overseas and would love to know! Leave a comment if you don't mind (and how you stumbled upon it!) Thanks for putting up with my long winded blogging! 
I'm a nerd and love things like this. I just happened to look at my phone at 12:12 12/12. #nerd

2 comments:

  1. I'm from Tulsa, Oklahoma. I found your blog while doing some research after a friend was diagnosed with stage 4 melanoma. I check regularly for your updates. please know that I pray for you often. You are so courageous to share your life so openly and you are truly an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Maresa! I hope your friend is doing alright and feeling good.
      Thanks for the kind words, I will keep sharing!

      Delete