Thursday, December 8, 2016

Radiation - DONE

I can officially say I am done with radiation - 20 treatments done. I can't even explain the relief I have that I am done with them because they were so hard. The level of damage they did to me is up there with biochemo and that isn't easy.

Radiation has done such a number on me and landed me in the hospital last weekend once again. I woke up the morning after my second chemo just feeling awful. I actually threw up my feeding tube (not pleasant in the slightest) so I had to get that replaced while I was at radiation and my energy was so low that I knew I was dehydrated. I asked to get fluids and while they were working me up to see about fluids I spiked a giant fever, 104. Fever = admitted for two days. We weren't sure of the source for the fever as it could be multiple things such as lingering infection from the week before, the new bone med they gave me or the burn I had gotten from radiation. They also did a CT of my face/neck that showed I had a blood clot in my vein in my neck that is caused from radiation. It isn't the same as a clot that causes strokes or goes to your brain or such, but that my body will take care of it with the help of blood thinners twice a day. When it comes down to it we decided it was the burn that was causing the fever.

My artsy hospital shot
My burn is from radiation and is behind my ear. It was a giant blister that burst and then just is not good. The rest of my neck is burned now as well, but not to that extent. I have been keeping a close eye on it and treating it. It is good radiation is done because I don't think my skin could take more. It is all tanned and burned and starting to peel. The inside skin of my ear is burned as well. Just a lot going on for a body that is already weak.
My Radiation Completion Certificate, Mask and Flowers

Just some real feelings is all.. 

Little look at radiation prep

I did finish another chemo and felt really good that day and the day before. I truly think most of my side effects are from the radiation with just a bit from the chemo. They reduced my dose for one of the chemo drugs and I think that should help with my numbers dropping so low. I am laying low though just to be safe and not risk anything, and to let my body have a break from things and not land in the hospital again. While I was at chemo Intermountain Therapy Animals came and visited and I got to snuggle this sweet dog Luna for a bit. It was so sweet to just have her lay her head on me (something the owner says she doesn't do with people, that I was special haha) Hope that I see her again next time.
Luna
While I was in the hospital over the weekend my dear friends came in and decorated my house for Christmas with my tree and some decorations. They also did my picture wall and cleaned. My picture wall probably wouldn't get done for weeks because it takes a lot to do.. and there is a lot of pictures. They did a really good job and I was so surprised to walk in to a tidy and decorated house.

My elf deliveries continued as well - and man do they not disappoint! Today was the last and giant one and a bunch of people pulled together and got me the couch I had been looking at since moving. I have said it before but this time it's proven - my army is amazing! And sneaky! My couch makes it feel like a home finally and I can have people over and not be stressed about where they will sit. Now I have enough room for two people to crash if needed and that is helpful to know in case I need someone to stay with me overnight.
6th day
7th day
8th day (delivered secretly to the hospital even

9th day
10th day

11th day
12th and final day! And you can see part of the picture wall 

I am eager to heal from radiation and hopefully get some energy back and start feeling better day by day. I plan on staying low key for the next week and hope that will help with things. I have been better at asking for help from friends on things like laundry and food and random things. Takes a lot for me to do so, but I know it is necessary.

My booster Tshirt campaign ended as well and it was so successful! Over 80 shirts ordered! Can't wait to get them. Thank you for all who donated and purchased.

Next up is scans on December 16th so here is hoping that things show improvement and that the treatment is doing what it is supposed to.

No comments:

Post a Comment