Saturday, July 1, 2017

LaterBlog: Huntsman

Huntsman Cancer Hospital and Institute is basically like a second home to me; whether I like it or not. For the last 8 1/2 years I have gone up there for all of my cancer care. Numerous scans, tests, appointments, laughs, tears, hugs, food, overnight stays, losing friends and loved ones, infusions, fluids, treatments. All of the things. 
When I started going there they had just opened phase 3 of their plan of the institute. This past week they finished and dedicated phase 4; Primary Children's and Families Cancer Research Center. It is an entire wing fully dedicated to research of children's cancers and genetic cancers, hoping to finally find the one find that will eradicate even one type of cancer. Genealogy will be put to work and I truly hope that they find the end to this horrible thing I have fought and lived with and watch so many fight. 
I was asked to be one of the guest patients to attend the dedication event. I was honored. We all were given flowers and talked to the media and had reserved seating for the event. The Mormon Tabernacle Choir performed and many very respectable people spoke; including Jon Huntsman Sr. himself. It was a great event. It also happened to be his 80th birthday so there was some celebrating happening as well. 
I happened to have my treatment that day as well. When the staff found out about that they decided that they would do my media interview during my treatment. Little did I know that Jon Huntsman Sr. himself would be coming to my infusion. He walked in and I was almost a bit starstruck. To put it into perspective, it is this man that I owe the comfort of my life right now. It is because of his vision and extreme financial donation and dedication that Huntsman is in my backyard - a nationally recognized cancer center. He has made it so I haven't had to travel hours for treatment and care. He has made it possible for the doctors and researchers to further advance in finding the cure for this disease.
He came towards my infusion pod and I stood quickly to give him a hug - only to have him say it wasn't necessary, but it was. We chatted just about my cancer and my treatments. He noted that he could tell my attitude was positive in the face of such negative circumstances. His granddaughter was with him and she is a news anchor for Fox and Friends and she noted that when she walked in the first thing she saw was my smile. Which made me happy. I thanked him for everything and told him my dad thanks him as well. 
It was all filmed but I haven't seen anything else from the day be published. I will post whenever they do as I am assuming they will be airing it soon. Infusion went as planned and I went home and rested. It was a big and good day. 








This dragonfly just was hangin out for about 5min during the dedication; representing all the people who couldn't be there in person since cancer stole their time

No comments:

Post a Comment