Thursday, July 16, 2015

Day Two Of Treatment Done

Yesterday was my second day of my new treatment and it went well. This past week has been good and I haven't had many side effects besides being tired and swollen at the injection sites. Inflammation at the site is a good sign as it means that white cells are swarming the area and hopefully fighting the cancer cells. When I went in yesterday there was 4 swollen areas, possible tumors but we aren't sure (two are for sure tumors). It just means that if the medicine is working that the areas are swollen because they are being destroyed! That's the hope. The main tumor almost doubled in size which is scary but like I said I'm hopeful that it is the drug working and not the tumor growing out of control. My doctors feel it is the medicine which is nice to hear.
My surgeon saw my healed scar for the first time yesterday and wasn't too happy with how it looked. As you can see in the pictures, it isn't a happy scar and he wasn't happy about it. He said once we kick this cancer to the curb that he will go in an fix it. I'm not excited for another surgery but happy to have a better scar as it is pretty crazy. We shall see how it all works out. 
I truly am so lucky to have such a great medical team at Huntsman Cancer Institute. They are invested in my fight and talk to me as a person and not a walking melanoma case. While waiting for my drug to be ready yesterday a nurse and I talked about local restaurants to try. It's the little things that mean a lot to me. 
One of my best friends has made the comment that I'm not a walking melanoma, I'm still Alexis. I just happen to be fighting melanoma. This hit me hard because for the past 7+ months that's what I have felt like - like all my worth is tied to my fight right now. I need to still focus my energy on being me and not just my fight. It is a hard thing to change focus on but it will be needed so I can start my new life after cancer. Whatever that life will be.. That part I'm still trying to figure out. 

 The four areas - my scar looks angry too..
 Before the injection of HF10
 Right after the injection - I look like I have a golf ball in my neck!! 
This morning - it's gone down a bit from right after the injection

No comments:

Post a Comment