Thursday, July 30, 2015

Some good news on treatment day 4

I have now completed 4 days of injections and 2 infusions - two more combo days left! Half way there! Yesterday was a long day. I got to the hospital at 11:30 and didn't leave until about 6:15.. That's a long day at the hospital for anyone. They had a hard time starting my IV (nothing new) so that took much longer than needed and then they were behind in clinic - lots of people with cancer sadly. I had to see both my clinical oncologist and my surgical oncologist (which is also my clinical trial physician) as well as my clinical trial nurse for the injection. As I was being examined they said that the tumors feel softer and my main one that we are injecting all 5ml of drug into has shrunk 1cm. The newest spots, #3 and #4, are almost gone or untraceable. So we are only measuring the first two. Finally some good news! My oncologists are both optimistic about the treatment and pleased with my reaction thus far. After clinic I headed down to infusion and got my second infusion of Ipi while watching Cops and playing solitaire until my good friend Courtney came up and visited.
Huntsman Cancer Institute is so great. They know how to take care of their patients and spoil them. During infusion I get asked multiple times if I need anything and volunteers are so nice. I hope that when I feel better and have the time that I can volunteer up there. Their main volunteer is a charming older gentleman and when he asked if it was my first time there and I responded with it being my second, he asked if I had received my goodie bag. Nope - I got some great snacks but no goodie bag on the first one so he hurried off and got me an adorable chemo care kit. The kit included a book, a magazine, a neck pillow, an eye mask, hard candies for during treatment and soft socks. Such a small gesture that means more than people know.

I feel good today, no side effects except a bit of fatigue. I am told that I will probably feel some stomach issues come on in the next few days but for now I feel good. I tried to go to California this past weekend but I was flying on a buddy pass and the flights were too full to risk not getting back. I was pretty bummed cause I was looking forward to seeing my best friend and her extended family. I am hopefully able to get out to Cali sooner rather than later and that the side effects aren't too bad and allow me to do so. I will say that one of the hardest things about dealing with cancer is the inability to make set plans for the future because you just don't know how you will feel and if you will have the energy to do some things. I am doing soooo much better since chemo but I'm still not 100% and it could be months until then. I miss working and having things to do but have enjoyed meeting up with people for lunches and dinners and just enjoying my free time. I truly have some great friends and family.

I have three weeks off of treatment and am hoping I feel good throughout it and have some fun times ahead. I have a week long staycation planned with some good friends up at Snowbird, Utah so I'm looking forward to that. It has become a tradition and should be a lot of fun.

Connect the dots... 

\
Happy my energy is coming back (and my baby fuzz hairs)

In the infusion room

Still swollen but it actually has gone down if you can believe it


Until next time, taking everything one day at a time. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment