Wednesday, July 8, 2015

First day of new treatment

I have officially finished my first day of the new treatment. It was a semi long day but not too bad. To explain the treatment I am doing again I am receiving injections of HF10 (a modified herpes simplex virus) directly into the two, yes two, tumors in my neck. The injections are supposed to alert your immune system to a problem in the tumor and in turn it will attack the melanoma. Then in turn it should act as a vaccine so if there are other melanoma cells in the body it will kill them as well. I will receive 7 injections. I am also receiving 4 infusions of Ipilimumab (Ipi) which is an immunotherapy drug approved for the treatment of melanoma.

Today I was told there is a second tumor in my neck, right next to the other one. Also, the larger tumor of the two is growing fast so I am hoping this treatment starts working soon. The injections were virtually painless and quick once the drug was ready which was a pleasant surprise. The infusion was done in a very nice setting and a good friend came and helped me pass the 1 1/2 hours it took to infuse which was great. I haven't felt any side effects besides being tired, soreness of the injection site and a slight headache. The Ipi has the potential for more severe side effects - mostly bowel issues. I'm hoping they aren't too severe and pass quickly.

I am happy to have this treatment underway and have good feelings about it. Hoping things all go as planned and this is my final treatment. Period. Here's hoping the next few months are beneficial!

No comments:

Post a Comment