Sunday, February 28, 2016

February 27

If you haven't noticed the theme of this week.. it is anniversaries. This week, February 24-March 4, is what I refer to as my "hell week." I know I shouldn't put energy into it all but this week is a bad week for me historically. It all started in 2005 (dog died, car accident and dog attack. Started to sound like a country song) and seems to continue to this day. Regardless, I try to lay low this week just in case.
February 27 is my original "cancer free" birthday, it is the date of my last surgery for my first round of cancer diagnosis. I almost made it to my 6th birthday, but then that changed last year obviously. It was sad to have the day come and go and no longer hold such importance. I don't have a new cancer free date just yet as I am still actively fighting this f'r.
I will be happy to be done with this week soon and hopefully not have any more major things to add to the plate. I want to break the cycle!

It has been interesting these past few weeks. Since I am obviously responding well to the treatments, people are asking the question of "so are you cured?" "can it go away?!" So no I am not cured - I am definitely better than I have been but there is still cancer and tumors in my body that we are watching closely. And yes it can go away or have no evidence of disease (NED) but I will always still have had stage 3c cancer. My stage doesn't go away, it just gets re-staged after you have NED and it recurs. They don't use the words "cured", they say in remission or NED or clear; all words I hope to hear soon.

I have been asked a lot lately how I am feeling as well. I am still doing well - no real side effects to report. I have now been on this new med cycle for 29 days and still doing well. I have some minor skin irritations and exhaustion but that is all. Since I have been doing so well I am starting to consider going back to work - wherever that may be - to help pass some time and get back on my feet. We shall see!

No comments:

Post a Comment