Thursday, April 21, 2016

Immunotherapy is getting some good facetime!

I got a message from a friend today that NPR was doing a segment on immunotherapy and said I should listen in as it is highly focused on Melanoma. It describes in a good detail what exactly immunotherapy is and what it does when administered.
Immunotherapy has been a part of my treatment since the beginning. My biochemo was 3 chemo drugs and 2 immunotherapy drugs. My clinical trial had one part immunotherapy and one part injections. The treatment I am on now is not technically an immunotherapy but does act very much like one. My next treatment is two immunotherapy drugs combined.

Also, the April 4th issue of Time Magazine cover story was focused on immunotherapy as well and was a good read into how specific the treatment is, as well as how hard it is to get access to and fund these very expensive treatments. Let me remind you that my treatment cost last year was over $750K charged to my insurance (man do I really love my insurance company!!!)

I have attached links to each of these reports - worth a read!

Cancer Immunotherapy Article in Time

Immunotherapy - This is one that only Time subscribers can read sadly.. but worth sharing if you are a subsriber.

The Diane Rehm Show and look for the The New Promise of Immunotherapy Cancer Drugs (April 21, 2016) episode. Or follow this link: http://tunein.com/embed/player/t105523715/

No comments:

Post a Comment