Saturday, April 23, 2016

Still Swollen

Today makes 5 days of waking up very swollen in my face, along with not feeling very good in general. I look like I gained an additional 50lbs but just in my face! It is very painful too so that isn't very fun.
On Thursday I went to the Acute Care Clinic at Huntsman just to make sure things were ok and for them to see it all in person. There are a few things it could be but there isn't a clear answer as to what is really happening.
First: Lymph-edema, a back up of lymphatic fluid caused by damaged lymph nodes or lack of lymph nodes to flush out the fluid. While this is the most likely of the options, it doesn't explain why it would be happening on both sides of my face. It is definitely more prominent on the scar/surgery side but there is still swelling present on the other side.
Second: Cushings Syndrome ie: Steroid Face/Moonface. This is when your body retains water in the face, neck and stomach due to steroid use. Since I have been on prednisone (steroid) for over 2 months this is definitely an option. While annoying, there isn't much you can do about it. I don't doubt that I started to retain some water in my face over the last two months, I don't feel this is what is going on. Some of the reasons are that cushings syndrome isn't painful and is symmetrical usually. Mine is very tender and sensitive and definitely not symmetrical.
Third: TMJ- jaw joint issues. While I highly doubt this is the case, the doctor still made sure to check it all out.
Fourth and finally: Overactive Glands/Lymph nodes from being sick earlier in the week. I came down with a cold on Sunday evening and Monday that was not very fun. Tuesday is when the swelling began and has just stayed persistent since. It is very likely that my glands are just over producing and reacting to the sickness and there isn't anywhere for the fluid to go. This is what I feel is going on, and that my immune system has just decided to freak out and overreact in the face of the cold. This would explain both sides swelling, as well as the tenderness. There are some very deep lymph nodes left on my left side that could easily be trying their hardest to help but in turn making things worse.
There isn't really any way to know exactly what is going on but I have scans on Wednesday which will help us get a better understanding of what is happening below the surface. For now I have to just live with the swelling and tenderness and hope that it begins to go down. It is just cancer letting me know it is still around, in case I forgot. Ha, nope!

I'll let you all know what happens in the next few days, hopefully that my face isn't swollen anymore!

No comments:

Post a Comment