Friday, May 12, 2017

No Decision, yet

One thing, among many, that I have learned from this whole cancer stuff is that nothing is certain or set in stone. In this case it's getting my mind set on what is next. I had been told they were thinking radiation as the next step. As I have stated many times, I despise radiation and really struggled with it so it took me a bit to get my mind on board that I would be facing that again. I went to my radiation consult and my doctor was not convinced it was the best option. She suggested surgery first and then radiation as it would spare the other things around the tumors and be less invasive. She wanted to present my case at tumor board again and see what the surgeons and general oncologist had to say about it all. I had my radiation simulation scheduled for later that day but was told that it was cancelled as they think I will be doing surgery or an injectable treatment. I also had a CT of my neck so that it was up to date as possible.

Tumor board was on Thursday (yesterday) when I was presented, And nothing was decided. All I know right now is that they are still deciding on what route I should go. For now it seems that radiation is on hold. When talking with my nurses it seems as though they do not feel like an injectable is a great route to go and would rather go with surgery/radiation or just radiation. For now I will stay on the treatment I am on (BRaf inhibitors) until they tell me otherwise. I know that my radiation oncologist is out of the country for 2 weeks so the attending is who I would be dealing with before she gets back. If I am just doing radiation then I will most likely not start until 3 weeks from now. Surgery wouldn't be until then either. My tumors on the front of my neck are still growing; no pain though.


I also have been off of the pain patch for almost 2 weeks now. I have had mild withdraw symptoms since taking it off, but no pain. This is a good sign that the treatment is working and that the bone mets are not increasing. I do get pains in my neck, mostly I'm sure from it overcompensating for the side that doesn't have the muscles to hold up my head. It also doesn't help that I have had a cold/sinus infection for the last week. Hoping to feel better soon.

In October I had to cancel a trip to San Diego, California because of my surgery and treatment. My friends have rebooked the trip and we are going in one week! I will not let anything cancel this trip, that is for sure. I am excited to just get away again. It is with a friend I have known since I was 5 years old. Him and his wife are so generous and are flying me out as well as doing hotel and air. I can't wait!

Today my mom came and planted all of my new vegetables (tomatoes, peppers, beets, carrots, squash, cantelope and a pumpkin) as well as a bunch of dahlias (my favorite flowers). I am hoping that it is a successful garden. I am gonna have to be diligent on the watering!

We will have to see what the doctors think up, until then I am laying low and trying to beat this cold. Early bed time for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment