Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Still no decision

Here we are late Tuesday night and there still isn't an action plan in place for the next step in treatment. Can I say though that I have some amazing nurses? I emailed my PA and asked for her to call me and she did, from her vacation in California. I mean how considerate is that? We talked about what I was thinking of going forward, she talked a bit about their thoughts and then said that she would then talk to the doctor today and get back to me. No call today though, so I know I will hear from them tomorrow.
Here are my thoughts.
Just Radiation: Not a fan. If just radiation, then the dosing will be much larger as there is a larger tumor/cells to treat. It will be a re-do of the side effects I had before and I would anticipate severe burns, troubles in my eating/swallowing/mouth with a possibility of a feeding tube. The larger tumor is right about my thyroid so it would hit that hard. The smaller tumor is right on top of my larynx so my radiologist fears it will permanently affect my voice. I also worry that it isn't enough of an attack on the situation.
Surgery then Radiation: This is what I am leaning towards. I don't know the possible complications involved in doing the surgery on the front of my neck, so I don't have a good opinion on what would happen with surgery. As it looks right now it would be just removing these two tumors, which should be relatively noninvasive. Obviously there is possible nerve damage and scaring, but it should be minimal. If they have to do another lymph node dissection then that's a different story. I haven't heard of any additional disease in the right side of neck so I don't see the reason for removing lymph nodes at this time. Also can you go without that many lymph nodes in one main area? Seems a bit crazy to me. After surgery there would be radiation and I have almost all of the listed above concerns. Also to add to the radiation concerns is I would have to go off of my systematic treatment while doing radiation treatment so that is always nerve wracking.
Injectable Treatments: Not on board. An injectable treatment is where they trigger treatment by injecting into the tumor directly, usually using a virus of some sort. It then trains your body to kill those type of cancer cells and begins acting like a vaccine for the rest of the body/tumors/cells. While this sounds good, it actually is poorly timed for my situation. These two tumors have shown they are molecularly different than my other tumors and they are growing while all the others are shrinking in response to my BRaf inhibitor treatment. So with that, the injectable would only treat this exact type of tumor instead of all of them. That is too risky to let them run wild while only focusing on two tumors.
Can only see one tumor here... but you can see just how odd my neck shape is after all the surgeries and treatments. Plus the radiation marker tattoo that looks like a black mole. Also note my dimple chin, beauty mark and "A" necklace that I've worn for 13+ years. 
I am eager to hear what my team suggests. But until then, and until I start whatever is next, I am feeling pretty good. This sinus infection is still lingering but isn't holding me back thankfully. I am trying to cram in as much as I can now since I am pretty sure I will be knocked down in the coming weeks. My trip to San Diego this weekend couldn't have been better timed and I am excited to just go and have a fun time. I am hoping that they clear me to have some cocktails... champagne brunch anyone?! My mind has been running wild lately (for many different reasons, not really on cancer bs) so I need to reset (again). The day before I go I am actually going to see a medium/spiritual counselor. Mediums, if you aren't familiar with them, speak to those who have passed on. I have been before but I had never had anyone close to me who had passed at that time. Now I have several so it should be interesting. I don't have any unanswered questions or messages for those people who have passed, but I just want to see if they come through. Maybe they have some insight. Maybe its all insane? I look at it as entertainment at the least, and take it all with a grain of salt so we shall see how it goes. I will definitely write about it though.

Also I know I have some new followers on here - so hello and thanks for following my journey through this madness! Hope my long-winded-ness doesn't bore you!

Hopefully I will be writing next about the decision on the next treatment (you know, treatment change #14, or is it #15. Lost count...)

Onward, one day at a time.
Good Ol' Snapchat Filters; guessing this is a baby bear? 

Hung my bird feeders this weekend! Hopefully I get lots and lots of hummingbirds!

No comments:

Post a Comment