Thursday, June 25, 2015

Chapter 4 of the battle

As some of you have been following, I had my follow up scans this past week. Going into them I was anxious and had some bad feelings.. My fears were confirmed when the doctors came in with a sad tone and face. I have a new tumor growing in my neck. I can feel it so I am not surprised, but I would have loved for them to tell me that it was just scar tissue. A fine needle aspiration confirmed it was melanoma.
I had two treatment options presented to me. One is a clinical trial with HF10 (a modified herpes virus) in combination with Ipilimumab and the other is PD1 (Pembrolizumab). I have chosen to do the clinical trial as it is providing very good results so far. If the trial isn't showing good results I will switch over to PD1. Treatment will last 4-9 months depending on how my body tolerates it.  I am starting hopefully July 8th.
This is sad and frustrating to know that chemo didn't work and that this is an agressive tumor as it grew during chemo. I am clear everywhere else though, no evidence of disease anywhere else in my body or my brain. It needs to stay that way. I am hopeful this treatment will help me finally beat this cancer once and for all.
I'm planning on getting back to normal (or as close to it as possible) in the next few weeks and hope the side effects don't get in the way of summer. I am still taking things as they come and one day at a time - it's all you can do, and fight!

No comments:

Post a Comment