Thursday, November 12, 2015

Scan results, again.

I had another round of CT scans this last week because the study I am on needed them approximately 9 weeks after finishing the infusions of Ipilimumab. I am glad they did more scans because it gives us a better idea of where I stand now instead of waiting another 6+ weeks.
Before they told me the results I started looking into other treatments available for my stage. My cancer buddy Mandy was just recently pulled off of this study as it wasn't working for her and her cancer began to grow more than they felt comfortable with. She is now going to be starting with Keytruda - a PD1 inhibitor drug. So I started looking into it and it is definitely an option. My thoughts going into the appointment is that if things hadn't started to improve I would tell them to continue one or two more injections and then possibly switch to a PDI drug, like Keytruda.
My new scans showed that the tumors are all still growing, and there is a possible new tumor in my neck as well. It has not spread to any other area of my body, which is good. My lungs are the same as they were before, no change in either direction. My tumors, although bigger, looked more cystic (full of fluid not all tumor mass) as well as had more marbling of decrepit tissue or dying tissue. Both those things are a good sign.  All that said, my doctors have the same idea as I had going in. They would like to give the Ipilimumab another month or so to peak (peak efficiency is 4 months after infusion and I am only 9 weeks out from it) and then if at my next scans on 12/22/15 still show growth of the tumors then we will withdraw from the study and switch to a PD1 drug, most likely Keytruda. If the tumors are the same size then we will continue on the study, one treatment/injection at a time.
It is nice to be on the same page as my doctors and is also nice to have some good news mixed into things, just wish the tumors were shrinking.
I had the injection and it was a bit tender, but not bad. I had a pretty easy night with side effects, no fever or chills just a slight headache which is just fine with me. I'm pretty tired today, even after getting a good 11+ hours of sleep last night. Just means my body is fighting hard. I'm hoping this is the case going forward with injections, especially the next one since I booked a trip the next day to New York City. I had a flight credit I had to use by December 15, 2015 so I decided to go visit cousins and see the city all decked out for Christmas. It should be a great time! I really hope I feel good enough to do everything I want to for that trip. We shall see!

For now I am just going to keep on trucking along and enjoy as much of my life as I can while I am feeling as good as I am. This treatment will take me until at least the end of this year, so we will just see where it takes us!

Margins. Large one is 8cm


Spit and urine.. the usual

My hair is getting long.. and curly!

No comments:

Post a Comment