Thursday, December 10, 2015

6 Days of Fun and Memory Making

I just got back from an amazing, once in a lifetime trip. I say once in a lifetime because I don’t think it is usually the combo trip people are drawn to. I just spent 3ish days in New York City and then hoped on a plane to Orange County, California where I spent another 3ish days. The reason I did such a thing is that I had a “use or lose” flight credit on Delta and these two places where the places I was deciding between. I decided to just look and see what the price would be to do both – and it was only $30 more! How could you pass that up?! Umm, you can’t. So I booked it!
I visited New York in June of 2002, just a few short months after 9/11 so the city was still somber and in major clean up mode. I wanted to see the city rebuilt and back on it’s feet – and also two of my closest cousins live there and I have always wanted to visit them since they moved there years ago. I got in late on Thursday (the day after treatment… cutting it close and really pushing the limits) and we went to a great dinner a few doors down from their cute East Village apartment. The next day I spent touring the city on my own while they had to both work. I saw Grand Central station and the gazillion people that pass through there each day. Amazing really. I then walked over to Rockefeller Center and caught the last 2 minutes of the early part of the Today Show, still pretty cool. I then walked into 30 Rock and saw the gift shop for all the shows filmed there. I then hopped onboard the “Big Bus Tour” to see the city from a double decker bus. These are my favorite in a big city or overseas. You get to see so many things and learn about random things that you normally never would. I covered lots of ground through out the city, way more than I would on foot. I jumped off around Ground Zero so I could get a look at how much it’s changed since the last time I was there. I popped into a Starbucks and rested for a bit and recharged (cell phone and caffeine) before heading into it all. Once at Ground Zero it was amazing to see how big the towers were and just how many lives were lost that day. As I was walking around I came across the “Survivors Tree.” This tree was found in the ruble, barely still alive. People fought to keep it alive and nurse it back to health. They did so, and it now is growing beautifully and was the only tree at the memorial with any color left in its leaves still in the middle of the cold. As I stood there looking at the tree I began to tear up and eventually lost it. This tree represented so much of what I am going through. I will be just like this tree – a survivor. It was an incredibly moving moment for me. After that I hoped back on the bus and saw the rest of the tour, ending in Time Square as it was getting dark and all lit up. Pretty great day. The rest of the time was spent wandering through other parts of the city with my cousins, eating up all the good things and all the ice cream we could manage (even though I think we all could still have gone more!) I wish my stomach was bigger cause there seriously was so much amazing looking places to eat! Just another reason to go back.
After my busy 3ish days in NYC I caught an early flight to Orange County to see my best friend and her family’s new home. Once I got there I was able to see her oldest daughter (almost 3 years old) perform in her first gymnastics recital. And man was it adorable!!  The next day I spent some time at her work seeing what she does and then enjoying happy hour with her. The next day the pacific ocean was calling me so we went and spent some time there and ate some good local goodies. I love putting my feet in the ocean – something about it resets my mind. I always have to get a picture of my toes in the sand or water and this time there were some additional little feets with me. So precious. Ash and I got to have a great night out with just the two of us with delicious food and drinks, always a good time.  Then my vacation had to come to a close and I headed home to rest and get into the Christmas spirit.
It was truly a vacation to remember and I hope to be doing it more in the coming year for a couple reasons. For one, I hope to feel good enough to travel a lot and two I have just been listed as a companion on JetBlue for flight benefits and they fly directly to these two places! Pretty great deal if I must say so! Hoping to use those benefits soon and often!

I am so lucky that I felt good enough after my treatment to enjoy such a vacation – I am spent now though! Ready to relax a bit and enjoy the holiday season.
















No comments:

Post a Comment