Wednesday, December 30, 2015

New Treatment News

Well today was a rough one. I had my end of study appointment which concludes my receiving herpes injections into my neck every three weeks. I am happy about that! I am sad to not see my team of doctors and nurses every three weeks, but know I will see them lots while I am still getting treatment. They are like a little side family now that I see them so much!
Today marks one year since my first (and traumatizing) biopsy. A year since I knew something was wrong. I think my body/muscle memory kicked in and made me extra emotional at this appointment. I just am frustrated that I have been dealing with this all for a year+ now and still fighting – and that it is worse! My biopsy on Monday was better, still not fun or good, but they handle things much better here than my first one ever. I don’t even need drugs anymore. I still try and pretend I’m all tough, but regardless I am freaked out and end up crying a bit.
Today in my appointments I got some bad news. Not only has the insurance denied the combo drug, it also has denied the solo drug Keytruda. Their reasoning is that I am BRaf positive and need to complete the BRaf inhibitor treatment before starting anything else. This is the Band-Aid treatment I talked about a few posts back. My doctors and I agree though that I cannot wait for the appeals and claims to be completed to start a treatment and need to be on a treatment regardless of what it is. It is too dangerous to not have me on anything and it has been 4 weeks since my last treatment.  So I am forced to go on the one thing I didn’t want to do.  Although it will work in the short term – it is that long term I am concerned about.
Regardless they put in the prescription and I picked it up from the pharmacy today. I just have two bottles of drug that is supposed to be a cancer killer… So so strange to me. I just think if you are going to kill cancer then you should be a little more aggressive than a couple pills. But maybe they will kick me on my butt… who knows! I have chosen to start them on January 1, 2016. Start the New Year with some sort of new-ness.
The silver lining is that if the drug company does grant me free drug I can come off of this treatment and switch to that. And in the meantime it should shrink my tumors a bit which will help with the constant pain I am in.  I really hope this is the case…
So strange I have cancer drugs in my fridge…


No comments:

Post a Comment