Wednesday, February 24, 2016

February 24

February 24th has some history to it. It has been the day of my surgeries, two of them. First was my first lymph node removal as well as my MOHS surgery on my primary melanoma 7 years ago. And then last year for my radical neck dissection where 37 lymph nodes were removed, 7 of which were positive for melanoma as well as the surrounding tissue. When they took off the bandage last year and I saw my new neck for the first time I was in complete and utter shock. The scar was so much bigger and crazier than I had prepared myself for. I had a drain as well which was interesting in its own right. I was sad that I no longer had a "normal" neck and that I will forever have this as a sign of what has happened to me. There are still moments when I am shocked at what has happened to me overall, but then I realize just how amazing my body is to have endured what it has endured and to have healed as well as it has. My new neck gets looks and I get asked questions often about it, but I am owning my story now - something I wasn't sure would happen when I first saw it a year ago. Scars show where we have been and that what we were faced with didn't conquer us. Some scars are bigger than others but all tell a story. I have thought I needed a big, elaborate and made up story to go along with my scar. Maybe that I got attacked by platypus' or some rogue stabbing but I am realizing my story is plenty crazy in its own right. I have realized that me telling my story behind my scar helps to bring awareness to melanoma and begin a conversation that most people are confused about - it isn't "just" skin cancer and it isn't just as easy as removing a mole (but I do know that this is the case for some, just not all.)

Looking back on peoples calls, texts, posts and emails they sent me a year ago today really makes me remember how many people are with me in this crazy fight. They were behind me 100% then and they are behind me 100% now. I have already beat some statistics by still fighting this battle a year in, I plan to beat the statistics all the way to the end!

I am excited to tell my scar stories for years to come.

Side by side scar comparison
Left: 2/24/15
Right: 2/24/16

2/24/16

No comments:

Post a Comment