Monday, February 22, 2016

First Outdoor Market Day

Yesterday was farmers market day. For those of you who don't know my full past, my last job was doing vendor management for one of the local farmers markets in town. I would make sure vendors did what they were supposed to and collect payments and just basically make the event/day run smoothly. I have worked a bit here and there since my cancer returned, but I always try and go to the market if I can. I also have FOMO (fear of missing out) if I don't go.. so there is that. Regardless, yesterday was the market and I went to go support my work buddies and enjoy the day. Since the weather has been kind of nice, they decided to have it outside. Knowing this, I put sunscreen on as well as I had a long sleeve cardigan/sweater on. I have been on the BRaf inhibitors since January 1st, technically, and one of the side effects is sensitivity to the sun so I was prepared. Or so I thought. It was overcast for most of the time I was there and then the sun came out towards the end. I could feel that I was getting some sun so I would duck into the booths and shade every chance I got. By the end I felt my face and top of my head burning - like a chemical peel almost. I began covering my head and face with my cardigan like I was hiding from paparazzi or something. It was pretty crazy. By the time I left I knew I was burned, just didn't realize just how bad it was. My lips felt like I was scalding them when I put on some vaseline and the top of my head (where a bald spot would be) was stinging and itching. By the end of the night my chest and neck were becoming more and more red and began itching and burning, almost feeling raw. I took some benadryl to sleep and when I woke up the true extent of the burn was there. I got it good! My chest is soo red and one side of my neck as well. My nose and some of my cheeks are rosey and my lips have already peeled once. To really make it crazy, my hands are burned. My hands!! Just crazy. I knew that it made you more sensitive, but my hell! It is like I have brand new baby skin!! I really thought I was prepared, but obviously not. I will say I did not put sunscreen on my chest, so that is my fault. Now I will be extra prepared and have put my sunscreen in my bag so I am ready. I am hoping this pain and stinging subsides soon, but I am almost positive I will peel. Nothing like a skin cancer patient getting severely burned .. the irony. For now it is ibuprofen and aloe gel as well as extra sunscreen.

Beginning of the day

You can barely see my nose and neck in this.. as well as my hands

Who burns their hands? 

Mid day.. heat is radiating off of this!

No comments:

Post a Comment