Tuesday, February 2, 2016

New Month, New Meds

Today I started my new meds - Cotellic (Cobimetinib) and Zelboraf (Vemurafenib). Try and say that 3 times fast... The Zelboraf are giant pills and I have to take 4 tablets twice a day, and the Cotellic are small and I take 3 tablets once a day for 21 days, then have a 7 day break from them.
Why the new meds? Well I ran into some pretty severe side effects all at once on my last combo of the Braf/Mek Inhibitors so we are trying this combo to see if we can still have some good tumor shrinkage still. These are still Braf/Mek inhibitors, just different. The best way I can describe them is to say that just like Tylenol or Aspirin both treat headaches, these both do the same thing just are slightly different. This combo is said to have a less aggressive side effect profile so things shouldn't get as bad as fast as it did with the previous combo.
My next appointment is February 23rd and I will have scans at that time to. We will reevaluate everything, once again, at that time.
I am happy to be back on a treatment because in those 10 days that I was off the meds my tumors began to grow and fast. I don't like being able to feel and see this cancer in my body let alone growing. Hoping to see them start shrinking again soon!

Thank you all for such sweet words following the loss of my dear friend Mandy. It has been a rough few days but also so amazing to see so many people sharing their memories and photos of her on social media. She was one very loved woman and is definitely missed.
Zelboraf pills

No comments:

Post a Comment