Thursday, February 4, 2016

#worldcancerday and cost rant

Today, February 4th, is #worldcancerday. It is a day to not only get people talking about cancer, but to acknowledge all those fighting - whether directly or indirectly. For the past two years this day has fallen close to some very prominent events. Last year I had just been rediagnosed and was getting things in line to start my fight again. This year I am still fighting and I just lost my dear friend to this horrible disease. February is just a very hard month for me it seems. I have major life changing events happen in February - whether I like it all or not. Regardless, World Cancer Day seems to fall perfectly into my cancer story. I am glad there is some more awareness being talked about.

I have been home sick for the past two days and I started to look at some insurance claims and looked at my new med costs. Oh. My. Hell. How are cancer drugs so insanely expensive?! I am so thankful for insurance - I truly don't know what I would do without it. Here are the prices:
My first oral meds - that I didn't finish keep in mind. I still have a 7 day supply...
Mekinist: $10,335.20
Tafinlar: $9,028.70
And my new ones:
Zelboraf (14 day supply): $4,934.49
Cotellic (21 day supply) : $5,910.29

Amazing right? I really should add up how much was spent on me last year, but I truly don't know if I could stomach it. It is definitely more than $750K, easily. That said, with insurance it costs around $550/month out of pocket. For my first month I have been set up on a copay card that brings the cost down substantially.
Anyway, thought it was interesting and so I thought I'd share!

Hoping I start feeling better soon (it isn't side effects, it is a stomach bug) and that life starts mellowing out around me soon. We shall see!


AM Pills: $176.23 PM Pills: $457.67
*if I didn't have insurance that is



No comments:

Post a Comment