Saturday, August 13, 2016

Insurance Denial

I got a letter from my insurance informing me that they have denied my brain radiation. So frustrating. The reasoning doesn't make any sense to me either. The reason is this:

"The request for stereotactic radiotherapy does not meet SelectHealth's Stereotactic Radiotherapy Medical Policy criteria. The information we received indicates that there has been progression of the cancer outside the cranium. Therefore, the request for stereotactic radiotherapy has been denied."

So basically it is saying that since it has spread elsewhere (my lungs) that they wont cover it. Now keep in mind that radiation or surgery are really the only options for treating anything in the brain.

The reason for this is the blood-brain barrier, your bodies own defense mechanism to prevent harmful chemicals and such from reaching the brain like chemo and such. Surgery isn't an option because of it's size (too small thankfully!) so this is truly the only option for treatment.

My doctors haven't said it is final and that they will continue to fight the denial and hopefully reword it in a way that things will be approved. Regardless I will be getting the treatment, we will just have to work it out and pay for it out of pocket. Insurance is messing with the wrong army and the wrong fighter for sure - I think they just think people will just be ok with these decisions and not do the treatments. Nope, not here.

We will figure it out. I'll keep you all posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment