Wednesday, August 3, 2016

LaterBlog: Survivors at the Summit

On Saturday (July 30th, 2016) I attended Survivors at the Summit.
Maryann told me about it a day or so before and to be honest, I didn't want to go. With the new news it felt like everyone was fixating on things and I just didn't have the energy. It has been a crazy few weeks.
And then I snapped out of it. And realized it was 6 months since Mandy had passed away and knew this was bigger than me.
Survivors at the Summit is put on by the Cancer Wellness House and people attend and buy a prayer flag for someone fighting, has fought/survived or lost the battle to cancer. You are supposed to summit the peak however you are able - hike, bike, walk, or like us, take the tram up. There was a breakfast at the start and then ice cream and snacks at the end... Not sure riding the tram validated earning an ice cream but my prednisone/steroid ridden self didn't say no!

Maryann and the boys, Jack and Ben, came and they wrote on a prayer flag for me. We told Jack to write/draw what he thinks of when he thinks of me - and that is a pink elephant. Oh you sweet boy... haha. Pretty great actually, definitely a memory!






I made a flag for Mandy and then we made the trek (ha!) up to the summit. At the top all the flags were all hung and it was a site to see for sure. Kind of takes your breath away. It is hard to look at them all and think of how many people cancer affects. Basically everyone. No one goes untouched.

My best #mandyselfie




We sat at the summit for over an hour and I met a gentleman that talked to me about his battle with his cancer (super rare kind that I can't even remember it!) He was 4 years into remission and just was refreshing to talk to. Very nice.

Maryann also bought 40 raffle tickets for what was called the 50/50 raffle. 50% went to the Cancer Wellness House and 50% went to the winner. She made the mistake of telling me she would then give me 50% and guess what? She won! $546 to be exact! After taking out the cost of the tickets we are both $253 richer! We never win anything!! She was so nice for really giving me anything! We attempted to go shopping with the money but we both hate spending money, we did go to lunch though. I'll treat myself to something besides food I promise though.

Can't wait go next year and hopefully feel well enough to hike at least half of it. Goals my friends.



No comments:

Post a Comment