Thursday, September 24, 2015

Huntsman Cancer Institute Gala

Tonight I was able to attend a gala for Huntsman Cancer Institutes 20 year anniversary. The theme of the night was "Changing the DNA of Cancer" which is exactly what we are attempting to do with my current treatment. My good friend Courtney works in the graphic design department for Huntsman and so she invited me. I didn't attend the dinner but arrived towards the tail end of the presentations and was able to hear Jon and Karen Huntsman speak. I am so greatful for all they have done in regards to cancer research. It scares me to think what it would be like if Huntsman wasn't around. I have relied on them and their for 6 1/2 years. They spoke about who will take over and it will be passed on to Peter Huntsman.
After the presentations there was a survivorship celebration. It was like a giant party to celebrated conquering cancer. There were drinks, tons of desserts, a candy bar, photo booth and video booth. There was also a live band that was really good. I was stopped on the way in by Mary Nichols (a local news anchor) who told me how great she thought my hair was. She asked me how things were going and was just a sweetheart. I was hugged by many people and just felt so supported! I was one of maybe 5 people who were obviously cancer patients just from our hair, but who knows how many were truly there. It was a lot of fun! We did some great photos in the photo booth and danced a bit. I was happy to be a part of it!

HOPE - with Courtney

Jon and Karen Huntsman

Changing the DNA of Cancer

Like my glasses?

I was getting into my part...

What the TRex?!

No comments:

Post a Comment