Friday, May 6, 2016

The plan

We have the plan for the next few months. I will be getting my port placed on Tuesday May 10th. This is an outpatient procedure done under conscious sedation - what they do for colonoscopies and such. I have had this before and I am definitely not conscious which is great! A few people have asked if I had a port before and I have not. Ports weren't usually given to Melanoma patients until recently. Before just recently most treatments were not long term infusion based so it wasn't needed. Since this treatment plan (and the next option if I don't respond to this one) is a long infusion based treatment it is a smart idea. Although I'm not looking forward to the surgery I know it will be good in the long run. This can stay in for as long as I need it - years even. 

I start my treatments on Thursday May 12th. The first 4 treatments will be the combo of Ipilimumab (Yervoy) and Nivolumab (Opdivo). Treatments 5-however many will just be Nivolumab. The first 4 treatments will take approximately 6 hours in the infusion room. After that it will be around 3 1/2 hours. 

I am hoping I respond well to the treatments and don't have many side effects. I am going to try and carry on with life the best and most normal as I can. I have been working a bit but all of the things I have to do I can do from home at my own pace which is great. 

For now I am enjoying my last weekend before the next steps! 

Onward ho!  

No comments:

Post a Comment