Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Dalai Lama

Today was a day to remember - forever.

I had gotten word that the Dalai Lama was going to be in town and also visiting the Huntsman Cancer Institute. I decided to go and see if I could get a glimpse of his holiness. I headed up to get a spot where I heard he will be meeting which was just outside the bistro on the 6th floor. I wasn't sure they would keep allowing people up there so I got there about an hour ahead.

I sat at a table and just did some work and caught up on messages and such. While waiting they had bomb-squad dogs come sniff out the area as well as mirrors to look under tables and such. It is sad we have come to that being a normal thing and not surprising to see.

Once it got close and I got an "the eagle has landed!" Message the secret service allowed us to watch his motorcade pull up and then go back to stand a little ways away.

He came off the elevator and walked right by us, acknowledging everyone standing by, by hands in prayer and a bow. A bow directly at me which was amazing. He then went into his meeting.
Now I know of him and know he is a peaceful, good human but beyond that I didn't and still don't know much. I know now that he is someone that fills every room he is in with pure peace and calm. Silence was not awkward but more a feeling of gratitude to be there. I truly can't describe it.



I then went downstairs to meet my friend and decided to wait for him to come back out.
When he came out this time he walked within inches of me and as he walked towards me we locked eyes for a good 3 seconds. In those three seconds my entire body felt an overwhelming calm and stillness - I froze but not in a starstruck way. He waved his hand in a blessing fashion and continued on. A moment I will never forget.


As he made his way to the car he stopped and greeted a patient on a walk in her wheelchair. He then went to get in the car and realized he had missed a patient and stepped back out to greet him. Heading back to the car again he turned and caught a glimpse of a young girl coming out of radiation. His face lit up like a child but then was saddened to see what she had to endure. He tried to get some info but the language barrier was too much so he motioned to touch his nose. The young girl, who was 9, didn't understand fully so he motioned touching his nose again. Thinking he wanted her to touch his nose she went to place her finger on his nose and secret service wasn't a fan of her attempting to touch him so they explained he wanted to touch noses like a Eskimo kiss per say. She leaned in and he just made a popping noise and giggled. It was adorable! He truly lit up around this sweet girl.

He took one more look around for obvious patients and then got in his town car and headed off. For a moment I wished I looked more like an obvious patient to get one on one time with him but then realized I had my own connection moment and experience with him that was more than many dream of. Like I said, it is hard to explain the feeling he gives just being in his presence.

One funny thing to come from my day with the Dalai Lama is there was a lot of pictures being taken, professional and personal so I ended up in the background of one picture and I think it is hilarious and so fitting for my day of stalking his holiness. I just look like a happy creeper in the background, but I love it.


There are definitely perks in the depths of this disease, you just have to be open to seeing them. This is one of them and a day and feeling I will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment