Thursday, June 9, 2016

Things are pretty good

I am happy to report that since treatment a week ago I have had little to no side effects - pretty crazy and a complete difference from round one. The worst thing happening is that my neck is extremely sensitive and sore. The tumors are larger, red and warm. It is almost like they are aggravated. They are pushing on tons of nerves so I get lightning bolts of pain when you least expect it. It is very unpleasant and painful so I have started back on my nerve medication which is starting to help out a good amount.

I was so excited that I felt so good so soon after treatment because the Sunday after was two of my most favorite events - Gay Pride and the opening day of the Wheeler Farm Farmers Market. I rested everyday up until Sunday so I would have the energy to go to both. It was a full day! I had a great time though and was worth how tired I was at night. Since then I have been pretty active and even worked two days this week. Doesn't sound like much but it truly is. Hoping it continues.

One thing lately is that I am in a sort of mental funk. My mind just wonders to the dark side of things and then I have to reel it back in and to the moment. It is part of having cancer - your mind wanders and goes down the list of "what if," and it is terrible. I am working on getting out of the funk and not stay in it, it will just take time.

In the middle of all the fun my dad had back surgery. He had 4 discs repaired since they had herniated. His surgery went really well and he was discharged practically immediately. Hoping his recovery goes smoothly and no re-injury happens. No bending, twisting, lifting. Getting in and out of bed log-roll style. It's a lot. Backs are tricky... I know too well!

An update on little Ruby who is 3 and fighting stage 4 melanoma and on Nivolamab (one of the drugs I am on) - she had her scans this week. Her little body has 40 tumors and sadly they are growing, which means the treatment is not working and so they have to look at other options, which there is slim to none of. There are some clinical trials they can apply for but that is a process and may not happen in time. It truly makes my heart sink, and makes me think the worst for myself as well (I'm really trying not to go there) Her fundraiser is this weekend and I have been helping get silent auction items and was impressed that I got 30+ donations! I truly have amazing people around me and an amazing farmers market family. The rally will be amazing! If you want to donate you can go to facebook.com/rallyruby to donate to the rally or their gofundme - https://www.gofundme.com/RallyRuby - anything will help! I'm so excited to go support this sweet girl and her amazing family. Really hoping we both can beat this beast melanoma!

As always, thank you for all the love and kindness you've shown to me - especially those sweet people who have sent me letters! I was so amazed that almost half have been from people I don't know but just follow my journey. Truly incredible. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.


Almost all the donations, amazing. 


My Pride buddy for almost a decade!


Big Chair Photo - a tradition! 


Dallin and Davis

The Parade

No comments:

Post a Comment