Monday, June 27, 2016

Radiation Consult

Today I went to a consult for radiation therapy. This was my third time looking into radiation. First was 7 1/2 yrs ago with my initial diagnosis, then again after my surgery last year and then today. Each time I have a deep gut feeling to run. Radiation scares me. 

This appointment was to decide if adjunct triggered radiation would help shrink the tumors and give me some pain relief. My regular oncologist had said it would be 5 concentrated sessions so that's what I had thought was going to be discussed.
Once the appointment started the 5 treatments were out the window and was replaced with 20 treatments over 6 weeks. Not triggered but a broad base. Doing such a broad based radiation carries a lot of side effects and also effects the regular tissue, not just tumor. As we were discussing all the things involved I hit my wall. The steroids I'm on make me more emotional and so it just was too much and I kind of lost it. I was just overwhelmed. Plus thinking of doing 20 treatments and not 5 was a lot.
We left that appointment emotionally spent and drained. I have the next big decision making appointment weds so we will decide what is next.

Some days just aren't good but there still is good in each day. I hit my emotional wall yes, but my mom and friends were there to let me vent and cry and just be in this crazy ride. I don't know how I got so lucky to have people care so so much and truly love me.
In summary, I'm terrified of radiation and really dislike being on steroids. And I love my family and friends. On to the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment