Saturday, July 16, 2016

Staycation

I spent the week up at Snowbird, a ski resort that is open in the summer with activities and such. My best friends own a week long timeshare there and are so gracious to allow me to crash with them for the forth year in a row. Every year it has been so different as so much changes in a year.

It is so great to just escape the valley and heat and reality to a serene beautiful mountain where you can just zone out, go swimming, watch for animals or just hang in the room.


Top of the tram at Hidden Peak - 11,000ft; Salt Lake Valley straight ahead (Top), Heber (Bottom)



Jack is snorkling his heart out in this picture right above my feet

Morning routine


The view outside the room


As the week approached I didn't know how I would feel or where I would be in treatment. Orignially when I was on the Niv/Ipi combo I was scheduled to get my infusion half way through the week so in my head I was going to only be there for a few days. Obviously that has changed and I was able to stay the whole time - not sure they were truly expecting that but I did it! I only had a couple days and moments that I struggled but was able to pull through it. I used the spa pool and solarium a couple times and just relaxed and thought through things. My friends are crazy busy and have multiple small business constantly going so they had to come down to the valley almost everyday so I used that time to just relax and recoup. It was fun to watch their two boys enjoy their time on the rides and just be boys. They are getting so big and becoming their own little beings. It is fun to watch and just live in their simplicity.


Tell Jack what a selfie is...  

Ben and Anton in the room hottub loving life! 
  

Popsicles, SpiderMan, Selfies and Movies. This kid has my heart



We had groups of people come up practically each day/night and so that kept things lively and not so stagnant. Heading into the week I was worried I would hold back my friends from really doing things up while they were there since my stamina is non existent, my sun sensitivity is back and I'm extremely low on funds (I couldn't do the rides even if I wanted to anyways...) I don't think I got in the way, but I will never know for sure. Prednisone was a factor I know that, I ate everything! Ha! I told my friend she shouldn't have left me alone during my witching hours of 3-5pm... the chips just disappeared I swear! I am doing better at regulating it all but it is still a bit out of control. I'm hoping that once I taper lower I will see the water weight drop off and then I can work on the chip/treat weight.

My sungear in full effect! 


Yes, this happened. Ha.

At the pool in the shade, under an umbrella. Also, where is the tumor? 


My life isn't that bad if I step back and look at the giant picture. I just spent a week at a resort with my great friends because they are that nice to include me. When I started to have a meltdown, I went to a spa and stared out a wall of windows to a mountain side that had a family of deer on it. I was healthy enough to go for a week and enjoy as much of the time as I could. I watched two little boys enjoy all they could and play and swim their little hearts out. I spent time with my friends that I don't see too much cause our lives aren't intertwined as they once were - I miss those times but know that these times are just as important and have their own value. Was it hard to realize that I am now on the sidelines for real? Yes, but that doesn't change how I care about them as my friends and it just makes the memories a little different and may take a little more effort. They are worth the effort. Again, my life is actually pretty good, I just have this whole cancer bullshit to slap me down a couple times.

I am thankful for what I have, and for my staycation.

No comments:

Post a Comment